Parliament shortlists candidates for ICASA Council vacancies
Published On May 13, 2015 | Media / Press Release
On 5 May 2015, the Portfolio Committee on Communications shortlisted 12 candidates to fill the five vacancies in the ICASA Council. The Communications Porfolio committee adopted this shortlist, with no debate, although most of the opposition MPs were not present at this skeleton crewed session. Judging from the shortlist there appears to be a lot of overlap between the candidates for the Media Diversity and Development Agency (MDDA) , Independent Communications Authority of South Africa (ICASA) and SABC boards.
- Mr Diratsagae Maoke – currently the Secretariat Coordinator at Motheo District Municipality
- Mr Keabetswe Modimoeng – a former Sunday Times journalist who is also nominated for the SABC board.
- Mr Lance Rothschild former radio personality and communications consultant
- Mr Lumko Mtimde – dropped from the SABC board nominations for failure to produce copies of his qualifications, and former CEO of the MDDA)
- Mr Paris Mashile – former chairperson of the ICASA Council
- Mr Peter Hlapolosa – former ICASA general manager
- Mr Peter Zimri – director of the Number Portability Company
- Mr Sello Molefe – Head of national broadcast and television at the National Electronic Media institute of South Africa (NEMISA)
- Mr Thamsanqa Ntenteni – former SABC News Africa director. Ntenteni has his own brushes with the law. He has also been nominated for both the SABC and MDDA boards
- Mr Yengwayo Kutta – stakeholder manager at the Western Cape Government’s department of transportation and public works
- Ms Botlenyana Mokhele – former ICASA researcher and consultant at PYGMA consulting
- Ms Dimakatso Qocha – deputy executive director of the National Association of Broadcasters (NAB)
A progress report was released by Parliaments Portfolio Committee on Communications